Smart customers pay less
Smart meters not only make it super easy to manage your energy – they can also help you cut your bills. Here’s how a smart meter can save you money:
- Every month, one smart customer wins a year’s worth of free energy
- Save on your bills with our smart tariffs by using energy when it’s cheaper and greener
- Earn money back on your bills by taking part in our smart trials
- Cut your energy use with our energy insights – from spotting energy-guzzling devices to changing costly habits
- Smart customers get extra chances to win up to £512 every month on our Wheel of Fortune
If you’re a smart cookie, you can save some serious dough. With a smart meter you could...
Win a year’s free energy
We’re giving away a year’s free energy - around £1,971 - to one customer every month ‘til the end of the year. To be in the monthly draw, all you need to do is have a smart meter, or be on the list to get one.
Caron from Essex was our first winner. Here’s what happened when we told her the good news…
Win up to £512 every month by spinning the Wheel of Fortune
Smart meter customers get extra spins on our famous meter reading wheel of fortune.
You get all the joy of spinning the wheel, without having to give the meter reading – AND double the chances of winning thanks to your extra spin.
Here’s some other ways our customers have saved, and even earned cash from their smart meter over the years:
- Agile Octopus gives customers different prices every half hour of the day, based on the market price of energy. When energy’s really cheap on the market (often when a high % of it is green) customers’ prices plunge. Sometimes they even go negative – that’s right, some smart meter customers get paid to use power.
My supplier @OctopusEnergy paid me to use electricity last night between 22:30 and 06:00 when there was plunge pricing because of over supply.— Rob Seago 🇪🇺🌍🦋🐞🌿🐟#FBPE (@Lepimann) January 3, 2022
I charged my battery and put the bread maker on. pic.twitter.com/SCiJoJ9G4U
- Power Hour: completely free energy for an hour every month – generally the hour when the UK’s energy mix is ‘greenest’. (The deal was so good it went viral on Hot UK Deals and filled up in minutes).
It’s currently an @OctopusEnergy “Power Hour” meaning our electricity is free…. Cue @hypercrypt doing all washing & tumble drying, dishwasher, hoovering and making me a cup of tea whilst I cuddle the baby… can we have this every day?!!!— bethandudas (@bethandudas) October 31, 2021
- The Big Dirty Turn Down, when 250,000 customers got paid to cut their energy use at certain times to avoid the need to turn on a fossil fuel generator.
I'm taking part in a trial for @OctopusEnergy where if I can reduce my usage by 40% between 4.30pm and 6.30pm I will get any energy I do use for free.— Danielle 🏳️⚧️ (@misswhiskygirl) February 24, 2022
I'll save pence and doing this more out of intrigue so this is how I'm prepping my tea! 🤣 pic.twitter.com/XlZJicAvzW
- The Windy Day Fund, when customers in areas of Scotland with plenty of wind turbines were paid to use more power when the turbines were spinning fast
- Our Earth Hour challenge, when we gave any customer who cut their energy by half during Earth Hour a £5 donation to the World Wildlife Fund.
- Four hours of free energy on Christmas Day, two years in a row.
How a smart meter will help you rethink energy habits:
Open your app or online account and hit ‘Explore my energy use’. In a couple of clicks, you can learn so much about what you’re using and what it costs. Monitor what you've used daily, weekly, monthly or yearly to help work out what your different energy spikes or trends are, based on the time of day. You can then use that information to change habits and even identify inefficient appliances that might need repairing or replacing.
Here’s how our customer Simon used his:
If you're a geek (like me) then smart meters are really cool. Here's our half-hourly electricity use y'day, with my guess for spikes in demand (NB the 00:00 time tag should be on far left).— Simon Evans (@DrSimEvans) June 15, 2022
It was one of our lowest-demand days of the year, at 3.9kWh. No washing machine or oven. pic.twitter.com/9oXGZzf8oO
We’ll even let you know how you’re doing week-on-week – so you can compete with your past self to use a little less, and see how changing your habits can make a difference over time.
Your smart meter will also come with a little ‘In-Home Display’ screen so you can see what you’re using in real time. You can walk it round the house to see what happens when you turn on different appliances, set daily budgets and see at a glance how much you’re using day in and day out.
And we're building even better technology so that in the future, tracking your spending will be a breeze.
Loving the @OctopusEnergy Home Mini. It shows my near real-time #energy use.— Gill Nowell (@Gill_Nowell) May 25, 2022
So I can see where my dishwasher came on at 01:00 this morning. And when we had our showers just after 06:00. But what’s going on between 02:30-05:30? Is that just stuff plugged in but not in use? 😳 pic.twitter.com/PGCUPII8em
Smart meters unlock brand new ways to earn money
Our whole energy system is getting smarter as we adjust for a world full of electric cars, heat pumps, smart homes, and power from the wind and sun. Being more flexible with how – and critically, when – we use energy won’t just be greener, it’ll be loads cheaper too.
The BBC shared that cool challenges that’ll give households the chance to save more than £100 per year on their bills are on the way – rewarding customers with cheaper power or energy credit for shifting energy use to make the most of renewables and avoid fossil fuels.
This isn’t some distant future. Our customers get to do this kind of thing right now – but it’s only possible with a smart meter. They're the critical key that lets you get involved in all the cutting edge ways to save money that come along with a green electric world.
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window