Octopus Energy Heat Pumps Explained
Gas boilers have served us well, but the next generation of heating is here.
Heat from the air, produced using green power. 400% more efficient. 75% less carbon emissions.
From £3,000 for a standard installation
What is a heat pump?
A heat pump extracts heat from the air outside and brings it into the home using electricity. This means you get a bigger quantity of heat with less electrical power usage.
Air-source heat pumps give you comfortable, consistent heating and hot water. But with…
- Less energy: Heat pumps use 4x less energy than even the most efficient boilers to generate the same amount of heat.
- Less carbon: That efficiency means you’ll instantly slash your heat carbon footprint by 75%. Plus, they run on electricity, which gets greener every year.
- Less maintenance: A heat pump can last 20 years – about twice as long as a boiler – and needs less pricey maintenance.
Heat pump installation cost
Sign up now to see if your home is a good fit for a heat pump and generate an estimate cost.
We're your heat pump one-stop-shop
We'll handle every bit of your move to a heat pump. From your survey, quote and installation all the way through to aftercare service.
That means a quicker, smoother experience for you, help from the same expert team, and better value for money.
Proven tech for the home of the future
Heat pump technology is 160 years old, and can work well in most homes already – making it the ideal replacement for your old boiler.
- Combines heating and hot water
- Connects to most existing piping systems and high temperature radiators
- Loaded with smart capabilities, and works with home tech from solar panels to batteries.
Smart heating at your fingertips
Control your heat via our simple app. It's just as easy, if not easier, than using your boiler.
After your installation, our friendly engineers will get you set up and show you the ropes. We'll always be on hand to help with any questions.
What can I expect?
In the news
An introduction to heat pumps
Gareth talks heat pumps
How much does a heat pump cost?
Our standard installation cost is around £3,000 - £4,000 total cost (similar to a gas boiler system), including the £5,000 Boiler Upgrade Scheme grant (which BEIS publish monthly on their website), but it can cost more if you have a larger home or non standard installation. The average price of all heat pumps installed in the UK on the Boiler Upgrade Scheme is usually around £7,000- £8,000 (including the government grant). However we’ve been working hard to optimise our processes and supply chain to bring heat pumps to you at the lowest price possible.
We'll be able to let you know exactly what you need and how much it costs after your no obligation home survey.
What’s the process to get a heat pump with Octopus Energy?
Once you’ve registered your interest, we’ll do some initial checks to check if a heat pump is a good fit for your home, and see if we have an installer in your area. When we’re good to go, we’ll send a Low Carbon Heating Surveyors round to do a detailed assessment of your home (which normally takes around 3 hours). We’ll give you a quote for your new system, which will include any available grants. If you accept we'll book you in and complete your installation (which usually takes 3 - 5 days).
Do I need to be an Octopus Energy customer to get a heat pump installed with you?
Nope! We’re on a mission to decarbonise heating - anyone can get a survey and installation with us even if you’re not an Octopus Energy customer.
What does a ‘standard installation’ mean?
A standard installation includes everything you'd need for a typical 3 bedroom home:
- Expert no obligation consultation & home survey
- A heat pump (up to 7kW) from a leading brand, on a ground level external wall
- A hot water cylinder (Up to 200L) in the place of your existing one
- Copper pipe (Up to 12m) and electrical cabling (up to 15m) connected to your existing plumbing and fusebox
- Up to 9 days of engineer time to install your system
- System flush, chemicals and magnetic filter to keep your system running smoothly
- 5 year warranty on parts and labour
Every home is unique though so that is why a survey is essential to assess yours.
Want to learn more about heat pumps?
Explore more FAQs and videos here.
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window