Meet the Octopus Home Mini
What exactly is the Octopus Home Mini?
The Octopus Home Mini is a small, palm-sized device that beams live readings from your smart meter to our cloud-based platform Kraken, so we can show you up-to-the-minute smart insights via your Octopus Energy app.
Crafted by Octopus R&D labs, made from recycled ocean plastic, available only in Octopus pink!
The Home Mini is our solution to one of the most common issues flagged to us by our customers - the In-Home Display. Here's how they compare:
Join the waitlist for an Octopus Home Mini now
With thousands of people in line already, we can't promise any particular time frames for delivery, though it should generally be shipped within a few weeks. Whilst you're waiting, our app is a brilliant tool for tracking your energy, even without the Octopus Home Mini. Get it on the App Store or Google Play.
Accessing your live data is easy.
You just need to plug the Home Mini in, follow the setup journey in the Octopus Energy app and you'll soon be able to see your electricity consumption and what you're spending in near real-time and your gas every 30 minutes.
Here's what some of our very first beta testers had to say:
After testing the prototype, delighted to have received the official @OctopusEnergy home mini.— Mick Wall (@Zarch1972) September 23, 2022
A breeze to set up & instantly seeing live electric usage via the Octopus app.
Yes, I'm exporting right now. ☀️
Looking forward to exploring its future capabilities.@energystatsuk pic.twitter.com/seWvz5Ja3n
This spike at 3.30pm yesterday is driving me nuts. Only my eldest lad was in, he didn’t put the kettle/cooker or anything else on during that 30 minute period, so I can’t for the life of me think what caused it. This is my life now I have a home mini 😆 pic.twitter.com/5YrXV7nZez— Stuart Pocklington (@voice_dev_uk) September 24, 2022
@OctopusEnergy thanks for the Octopus Home Mini. Impressively tiny and super easy to set up 🙂— Robbie Duncan (@robbie_duncan) April 13, 2023
@OctopusEnergy so happy to receive my Octopus home mini is was so simply to set it up now I can see real like usage of my electricity Gas smart meter can only send data every 30min the way they work hopefully you can send it out every customers after beta/trial has ended.— zakir Hussain (@zakir___1988) April 21, 2023
When can I have one?
This is our first foray into the world of hardware, and like all our other innovative products, we've released the Octopus Home Mini in beta so we can iterate it based on real user feedback.
- We’re still testing the Octopus Home Mini, so can’t make hard and fast commitments as to when we’ll be able to get one of them into your home – but joining the waitlist means we'll let you know when they're available.
- Please bear in mind that the Octopus Home Mini requires a smart meter we can connect to in order to function. If you don't have one, you can register your interest in a smart meter here.
- The Octopus Home Mini is still a beta product, so there’s a chance that things might not work perfectly the first time. It relies on a connection to wifi, Kraken (our cloud based platform), and your smart meter, via the Home Area Network (HAN). This means smart meter or HAN related issues may need resolving before your device can work properly.
Why are we doing this?
- We see this new level of data analysis as a vital step towards a cheaper, smarter, greener, all electric system; a system that empowers customers to be an important part of the solution.
- We've invested our own resources in this project, and our wonderful team has worked incredibly hard (you can meet one of them here).
- We appreciate that whenever we put something out there people will discuss it, and really treasure constructive feedback, but please do it mindfully. When people go overboard with the 'why haven't I got one yet’ or 'it’s rubbish because it doesn’t do this', it does chip away at the enthusiasm of the people who pour their efforts into creating and building these exciting new things.
More from the Octoverse
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window