Electric Vehicle Charging for Home and Work
Having an electric vehicle (EV) means you can drive a great car, loaded with innovation with zero tailpipe emissions. Access to an EV charger means you can make the most of the most convenient, low-cost energy tariffs, created with the EV driver in mind. If you haven't got an EV yet, head over to Octopus Electric Vehicles for great deals and information.
- Skip to 'Home charging'
- Skip to 'Workplace charging'
- Skip to 'What to do once your charger is installed'
Important Update on the OZEV scheme
We've already filled our allocation for the government's OZEV scheme (ending on the 31st March 2022). Any new applications won't include the grant but we still have a range of great value, super smart chargers to choose from.
The benefits of EV charging points
Octopus Energy Services have got the expertise and experience to help you choose and install electric vehicle chargers either at your home or workplace.
Getting an EV charging point installed at home means you’ll be able to plug in at the times that work best for you, making sure electric vehicle is always topped up. Best of all, smart charge points mean we are able to charge when electricity is cheapest and greenest.
Access to EV chargers at your workplace means you can plug in while you’re at work. If you’re on the road a lot, this means it’s a great opportunity to top up between trips.
Home charging installation: How it works
Getting an electric car charger with Octopus is simple.
Read through step 1 and 2 below, this will take you through the process. You can then click on the link above to get started with your application.
1. Choose your charger
You can choose from a range of smart electric car chargers, all of which pair brilliantly with Octopus Energy's smart tariffs at https://www.octopusev.com/home-charging
2. Get your information prepared
To avoid delays completing the application form, we recommend you have the following things to hand:
- Details of your vehicle, such as make, model, registration number, estimated delivery date (if you've not yet collected your car), and proof of ownership.
- Your phone, to take pictures. The application will ask you for pictures of where the charger will be going, and your fuse board so be ready to provide these when prompted.
- A statement from your energy provider, to provide information around your energy usage and MPAN number.
3. Complete our application form
- This will also help us understand how easy (or otherwise) the installation will be.
- We'll be in touch to go through any questions, finalise any details, and to arrange the best date and time for your install.
4. The installation process
- Installing your charging point should take around 4 hours (sometimes more, sometimes less).
- Your engineer will do a site inspection, and work out the logistics of the job (such as the best route for the cabling, and where they'll need to drill through).
- Your power will need to go off for a little bit - your engineer will let you know when. (Also, best to warn everyone that this means the Wifi will be out for a bit).
- Once it's installed your engineer will run you through how to use the charger, and the App for the best experience.
- We'll let you know when we're on our way and also observe all relevant COVID-19 safety measures.
5. What's included with installation?
All homes are different, and there are challenges on any job. A 'standard' installation will consist of:
- The fitting of the charger on a brick or plaster wall, (or other suitable permanent structure).
- Routing of the cable through 1 x drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm thick (where required).
- Up to 15 metres of High Tuff cable, run and clipped to the wall between the consumer unit and the EV charger, up to a height of up to 1.8m.
- All electrical connections at the origin of the supply and the charging unit.
- Type A RCD in metal Consumer Unit.
- Up to 3 metres of plastic conduit or trunking to conceal interior wiring.
- Electrical testing and NICEIC Certification.
- Where necessary, installation of an earthing unit (e.g. Matt:E or Garo brand)
- Demonstration of the Charge point functions and App.
If your installation involves more than this (for example, having to drill through more walls), it may cost a little more.
We'll ask for photos during the application process; this is to ascertain whether your installation may require extra work. If this is the case, we'll provide you with a no-obligation quote for the additional work. All of our engineers are qualified and experienced electricians. They're keen to provide support and guidance before the job goes ahead.
I’ve got my new smart charger, what now?
So now you’ve got your smart charger there are a few things you can do to make the most of it.
1. Get connected to the App: Each smart charger can connect with its own App. This means you'll be able to make the most of all the functionality, and control everything from your sofa (or driver's seat). Your Octo-engineer probably showed you how to use it, but if you need to get the App, download the app that corresponds to your charger below.
2. Get on the right tariff: Being able to charge at the right time is the first step. Make sure you're paying the right price for when you charge with an energy tariff created just for electric car drivers. Find out what tariff works best with your charger below.
What chargers are available?
"Small is huge"
"The world's smallest smart charger"
Workplace charging installation
The government Vehicles' Workplace Charging Scheme, can reduce the cost of installation by up to 75%. As well as being a great resource for your staff and customers, it also demonstrates your company's commitment to reducing your carbon footprint.
Octopus Energy Services can advise you about the best way to take advantage of government grants, and help you to design and install charging solutions. We're already installing charge points into office locations, car parks, and anywhere where electric vehicles can be parked, across the country.
Why choose Octopus for workplace charging
We’ll help you choose the right charging solution for your business, and help you find the best energy solution too, all backed by 100% renewable electricity. Our team are dedicated to delivering great charging solutions, great service and great support.
Guiding you through the Workplace Charging Scheme
The government's Workplace Charging Scheme is a voucher-based scheme designed to provide eligible applicants with support towards the upfront costs of the purchase and installation of EV charging points. The scheme enables support of up to 75% of the purchase and installation costs, up to a maximum of £350 for each socket, for a maximum of 40 chargers across all sites for each applicant.
The application form can be accessed here.
The voucher will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
Once we've installed your charging point(s), we will then claim the grant from OZEV on your behalf.
1. Hardware spec
- We'll carry out a Site Survey & Electrical Inspection
- Capacity and energy Consumption Profiling
- Charging Capability and Aesthetic Requirements
2. Grant application
- You complete your application
- This will generate your voucher
- We’ll submit evidence of installation and claims grant
- You confirm claim information
- We collect grant on your behalf
3. Installation process
- We get approval from your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) for installation
- Risk Assessment and Approval from Site Landlord
- Installation of Chargers
- Install and energise your chargepoint
- Declaration of the installation costs and provision of photographic evidence
4. How do I apply for business charging installation with Octopus?
If you're looking to get EV chargers installed in your business, get in touch and we can get things moving.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a non-standard installation?
Non-standard installations normally require more materials or time, and may incur an additional cost as a result. Once you place your order, we'll be in touch to get a better understanding of your requirements and we'll produce a no obligation quote for the additional works. As we take the payment up front, if you decide not to go ahead we will refund the full costs.
Do your chargers need an earth rod?
We are now including a Matt:E device. This negates the need for an earth rod when fitting your charging unit at your home. The device meets the latest wiring regulations in place and is part of our standard installation package which covers the majority of homes in the UK.
If you aren't sure whether you come under our standard installation scheme simply get in touch with us email@example.com and our team of experts will be happy to discuss the best solution for your installation.
Do you have T&Cs?
We do, and you can find our T&Cs here.
How do I pay?
At the moment the only way to pay is through BACS transfer (credit/debit card payment is coming soon).
Our account details are:
Account Name: Octopus Energy Services
Sort Code: 40 05 30
Account Number: 84601823
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window