The Octopus Winter Workout
The sign up window for the Octopus Winter Workout is now closed.
If you have entered, you'll receive an email tomorrow with your personalised gas saving tips and targets!
There’s never been a better time to cut back on our gas: it pollutes the home, warms the planet, and costs more this winter than any year on record.
The good news is most homes can save on gas and bills, and still stay cosy by following a few simple tips.
The Octopus Winter Workout is your chance to cut your gas bill and your carbon footprint – plus win your share of our £1 million prize pool.
How does it work?
To join in, simply sign up below before 23:59 on Sunday, December 5th 2021 and give us a gas meter reading (if you don't have a smart meter).
We’ll give everyone who’s signed up a series of dead-simple ways to cut your gas use while staying cosy, along with personalised targets for 12 weeks this winter, starting early December. We'll help you track your progress against your targets based on your meter readings – you can still join in even without a smart meter, but you will need to submit a meter reading at least once every month (that's three readings in total) during the campaign.
There’s an £8,000 prize for one lucky customer each week, and a grand prize draw worth £64,000 at the end of the program. Every customer who signs up to the program will be automatically be entered into the draws – regardless of whether you hit your target or not.
Tick off the tips on your list to earn extra entries into the draws and boost your chance of winning – all while saving big on gas and carbon emissions.
Plus: every customer who beats their winter target will win an equal share of the remainder of our £1,000,000 prize pool - that's a massive £840,000 to go around!
Check out the full terms and conditions below.
Frequently asked questions
How do I submit my gas meter readings and meter photos?
If you've got a smart meter that's connected to us, we'll get readings automatically, so there's no need for you to send us any.
If you've got a smart meter in 'dumb' mode, or a traditional (non-smart) meter, just submit a reading monthly as normal through our site, and send us photos of your gas meter reading here.
Why are you doing a competition for gas and not electricity?
Gas prices are higher this Winter than any year on record, and the majority of Britain uses gas to heat their homes. So we wanted to specifically help people reduce their gas consumption (while staying cosy) as people use more gas in winter.
While we're focusing on gas this time, we've done a lot of competitions and fun things specifically for electricity in the past, from Power Hour to our smart EV tariff Octopus Go and even our Apple Bakeoff and we'll do more in the future. Keep your eyes peeled.
Most importantly – while a few lucky people will win larger prizes in this competition, the vast majority win by doing a few simple things to make great savings on their energy bills. Anyone can do that: here are some really simple, effective energy saving tips to help bring your bills down, whether you've got gas heating or not.
Terms & Conditions
- The competition will be run by Octopus Energy Limited, a company registered in England and Wales with registered number 09263424 and registered office 33 Holborn, London, EC1N 2HT (“Octopus Energy”).
- These terms and conditions, together with any specific rules set out in any communications relating to the competition, are the competition rules (“Rules”) and apply to this competition. By entering this competition, you are agreeing to be bound by these Rules and any other applicable instructions.
- Details specific to the competition are displayed on our website; https://octopus.energy/winter-workout
- Octopus Energy reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and/or the Rules without prior notice. Any changes will be posted on our website.
- In the event of any dispute regarding any aspect of the competition, the decision of Octopus Energy shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition. Entrants must be 18 or over. Only residents of Great Britain are eligible to sign up to Octopus Energy and take part in the competition.
- To enter the competition, you must be a current gas customer of Octopus Energy as of December 1st 2021 and opt-into the competition by completing the form at https://octopus.energy/winter-workout
- You must complete the entry form before 23:59 on Sunday 5th December 2021. Unless otherwise specified in writing, no entries made outside this time will be counted in the competition.
- The qualifying period of the competition begins at 00:01 on Wednesday 8th December 2021 and ends on Tuesday 1st March 2022 at 23:59.
- Entrants will have a Personal Target calculated for them by Octopus Energy, based on their “annual quantity” (or AQ) of gas as outlined in Uniform Network Code H3.2.1 (the “Personal Target”). The AQ is calculated by Xoserve and will be based on historical data, recorded before the start of the qualifying period.
- Entrants will be able to view their Personal Target for the current 7 day period in their online account.
- The Personal Target will update throughout the qualifying period based on the latest weather forecasts. Entrants will be able to track their progress against their target in their online account.
- Octopus Energy will not be liable for the accuracy of the AQ or the calculations that form the basis of the Personal Target.
- Entrants without a smart meter are required to submit a gas meter reading with a photo of the meter clearly showing the reading within 72 hours of both the beginning and end of the qualifying period, and at least one meter reading every 30 days throughout the period.
- By entering the competition, you warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. If any information you submit is found to be fraudulent or incorrectly completed or if Octopus Energy has reasonable grounds to believe that you have breached any of the Rules, Octopus Energy reserves the right to disqualify you from the competition.
- None of the employees, or family members of employees of Octopus Energy or any of its holding companies or affiliated companies may take part in the competition.
- No liability is accepted for entries that are not received by Octopus Energy for any reason.
- Octopus Energy will not be liable to reimburse any expenses incurred with entering the competition.
- Every customer who completes the entry form will gain one entry into all weekly and grand prize draws.
- Entrants can earn additional entries into future prize draws by completing tasks in their Octopus online account. Once a task is marked as completed in the account, one or more additional entries for each completed task will be included for that entrant in all future prize draws. The number of entries will be clearly displayed in the online account before a task is completed.
- Octopus Energy has set aside a £1,000,000 prize pool for this competition.
- Winners will be drawn at random using a random script. Prizes are as follows:
- Each week throughout the qualifying period one entrant will win £8,000 (with a total of £96,000 available to win through this weekly prize draw).
- At the end of the qualifying period, one entrant will win £64,000.
- Once the above prizes have been allocated, every entrant to have used at least 5% less gas than their Personal Target during the qualifying period will win an equal share of the remainder of the £1,000,000 prize pool (being £840,000), to be split equally between all entrants who use less gas than their Personal Target.
- Prizes will be paid in the form of a credit to the winner’s Octopus Energy account.
- The winners will be notified by email within 30 days of the end of the qualifying period.
- By entering this competition, you are agreeing to be contacted by Octopus Energy should you win.
Data Protection and Publicity
- By entering this competition you agree to reasonable use of your name and image on our website and in the media and materials produced by or on behalf of Octopus Energy should you win. Octopus Energy will retain the rights to any media and materials produced.
- Octopus Energy in its sole discretion reserves the right to withdraw or vary the terms of competitions and promotions and/or any offer made in connection with them in order to comply with the decision of any relevant judicial or regulatory body and shall not be held liable to any entrant for so doing.
- Unless otherwise specified in writing, in the event that you are required to travel to take part in any event, you are responsible for making all your own arrangements.
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window