Official Iresa Octopus information page
What is happening?
Ofgem, the energy regulator, has asked Octopus Energy to step in and look after Iresa’s customers. Cleaning up the mess made by Iresa is a mammoth undertaking and will take months to complete but we aim to be close to “business as usual” within a week or two.
Good to know:
- Your energy supply will continue uninterrupted. You will not be cut off.
- Any money Iresa owed you is safe and protected by the energy regulator Ofgem
- You will be moved onto Octopus's cheapest tariff which is hundreds of pounds cheaper than the Big 6.
- If you are a prepayment customer, you will be able to top up in the same way you have been doing and will not lose supply
What have Ofgem said?
Here is a formal statement from Ofgem on the situation.
What do you need to do?
- Please do not call or email us yet. We do not yet have full information on your account, and are working with Ofgem to get this over the next few weeks.
- If you can, please make a note of your meter readings today and store them. We will ask for it soon. If you are away, or can’t make a note, don’t worry. It won’t affect your switch and we will be in touch soon with more information.
- Please do not cancel your Direct Debit with Iresa. This will automatically be transferred to us and any credit balance is safe.
- Your switch to Octopus Energy will be completed around August 21st. We will email you at this point to let you know. Ofgem advice is not to switch before the 21st August, but wait until we are in touch. From then on you'll have full access to an Octopus online account or be free to switch to other suppliers.
- If you do try to switch away from Octopus Energy before this email confirmation, the switch will unfortunately fail as you can't do two switches at the same time. We will work hard to minimise this period.
What happens next?
We will contact you within 7 days with an update. We'll also be blogging daily about the process - keep an eye out for updates here.
How long will it take to move my account to you?
August 1st - August 14th:
During the next two weeks we beg your patience: we are working with poor quality information and will be working hard to get everything into shape. Please do not contact us except in an emergency as we will not have full information on your account.
August 15th - August 31st:
We hope to have full information on your account towards this time and will contact you with information about any credit or debit balances.
Will I be cut off?
Your energy supply will not be affected by this process at any time.
Should I cancel my Direct Debit with Iresa? (or, What if I have already cancelled my Direct Debit with Iresa?)
Your Direct Debit with Iresa will be moved over to us, so there’s no need to cancel it. If you already have, don't worry too much - we will be in touch with information about how to set up a new one.
What happens to my credit balance?
Your credit balance is protected by Ofgem, the energy regulator. You will not lose it, and we will be able to return it to you. We'll work together with Iresa to get the final balances for all Iresa accounts (as of 31st July). This should take a few weeks. If you've already received a final bill from Iresa and are awaiting a refund, we will process that refund for you as soon as we've established that the balance from Iresa is correct!
Can I switch to someone else?
Your switch to Octopus Energy will be completed around August 21st. We will email you at this point to let you know. Ofgem advice is not to switch before the 21st August, but wait until we are in touch. From then on you'll have full access to an Octopus online account or be free to switch to other suppliers.
If you do try to switch away from Octopus Energy before this email confirmation, the switch will unfortunately fail as you can't do two switches at the same time. We will work hard to minimise this period.
I am no longer a customer of Iresa, but they still owe me money?
We will honour any credit balances for existing and old customers. Please bear with us and we will be in touch in the next few weeks.
I am not an Iresa customer / I have left Iresa, why have you contacted me?
We received Iresa’s customer database. We know that some of the data may be inaccurate, and there may be people in the mix who:
a) Have left Iresa (either switched away or moved to another property)
b) Think they have left but have not because the move wasn't fully processed by Iresa or another company
c) Are with Iresa but did not know
So: if your details were in the data that we received, we are doing the following:
- We check industry databases to see if the energy industry officially has you as an Iresa customer. If the industry databases say you are with another supplier, we will not switch you away
- If you had moved out of a property which is supplied by Iresa, we'll be in touch to get hold of details of the new occupier if possible, but will arrange to cancel the account in your name (we may need some proof that you've moved)
- If you are with Iresa but didn't know we'll seek to understand what happened and return you to your previous supplier if possible
From your end, sit tight. You don't need to do anything at this stage, and we will contact you once we have got to the bottom of it.
What happens to my open Ombudsman dispute with Iresa?
We’ve met with the Ombudsman and they are going to work through existing Iresa disputes. It may take about 4 weeks but they will be touch with you directly.
Who are Octopus Energy?
We are the only energy supplier recommended by consumer champions Which?, uSwitch’s Supplier of the Year, and the highest rated energy supplier on MoneySavingExpert’s recent customer service poll. We have also won a number of awards for our technology and customer experience.
I am moving house. How do I let you know?
If you’re moving house before the end of August, please email us at email@example.com on the day you move out with your meter readings, a forwarding address, and the name of the person moving in (if you have it). We’ll get back to you with anything you need to do.
If my tariff is changing, what is my new DD going to be?
Please bear with us on this, as we don’t yet know how much energy you are likely to use. We are still working through a lot of messy information we received via Ofgem from Iresa, and are waiting for the final account balances (as of the 31st of July) to be transferred over to us, so that we know where your account stands. Without this, and other account information, we can't accurately work out your DD. Once we've worked through the information, we’ll be in touch.
Can I have a smart meter with you?
Yes! We are currently installing SMETS1 meters. Please bear with us whilst we get your account fully signed up with us. After that you’ll be able to book a smart meter installation from your online account.
Will you be able to read my existing smart meter?
The current generation of meters available across the industry generally aren't compatible across different suppliers. That means that unless you have the same kind of meter that we install (made by Secure), yours will no longer be 'smart' (which means that you'll have to give us manual meter readings). If you want to go 'smart' again, we can install one of our Secure meters once we have your account fully set up with us.
Why aren’t Octopus as cheap as Iresa?
There is a reason Iresa went bust. We regularly update our prices to reflect the wholesale cost of the energy we supply you. Although we’ve won numerous awards for our customer service, we add less than 5% to your energy bill to cover the entire costs of running our business. There are a number of energy suppliers offering break-even or below cost energy at the moment, and they will either sting you with price rises or go bust. We’d rather offer our customers long term good value with customer service you can trust.
Why can’t I choose who takes over my Iresa account?
A switch of supplier in Britain requires both a losing and a gaining supplier, but because Iresa are no longer trading, they can’t operate as the losing supplier. We’ve been asked by Ofgem to set up and manage accounts for all Iresa customers. Once this process is complete, you’ll be free to switch or stay, whichever you prefer.
Are you going to go bust too?
We are a well established business with hundreds of thousands of customers. We are backed by the Octopus Group, a twenty year old financial services company who manage £8 billion of funds, including £2 billion in renewable energy generation.
How do I get in touch?
Please bear with us and we will be in touch in the next few weeks. In the meantime, we're blogging daily updates on this process. If you have an emergency such as a loss of supply, please call 0808 1781551, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hey! Just so you know, your device is fully charged and you're still charging it. Removing the charger will avoid degrading your battery 😊×Close window