We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to over 1.5 million homes and over 12,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 3 years in a row.
We recently secured over £300 million of investment from Origin, Australia's largest Energy Company, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, build more tech to make energy greener, and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets (the UK and Germany). You can read more about the impact of this investment here.
Kraken is the tech behind Octopus Energy, we built it to ensure that we had the best tech backing up our top-class customer service. Kraken Technologies now delivers transformational Energy-Tech to businesses around the world to make the global transition to green energy quicker and more affordable. Read about our latest partnership with E.On HERE. Our aim is to have 100 million customers on the Kraken Platform by the year 2030.
We are very excited to be building a small and efficient TechOps team at Octopus. We are looking for an ambitious, knowledgeable and experienced engineer to join our team to grow with the rest of the company and ensure we are doing so in a secure and safe way.
We will be tackling big problems and the breadth of work will be huge. Dealing with ambiguity will be a key part of this role and every day will be a new and exciting one working on varying challenges across the company. We work with almost 100% cloud infrastructure which means you’ll be working with many different tools across every area of the business.
A big part of the role will be ensuring our incredible employees are able to do their job as efficiently as possible. We will be supporting them as best we can to make sure their problems are also our problems. We will always prioritise giving human, friendly support over SLAs or ticket numbers and we strive to give such a nice experience our people will want to come back to chat to us in the future.
With the above in mind we also need to start building processes and systems to become the backbone for our upcoming vision and work. We are looking for a talented, driven and ambitious person who shares our vision of an automated, efficient, safe and reliable company.
We are looking for someone who has an engineering and security driven background who ideally has worked on these problems before - growing and supporting a company.
You will be a key partner in defining what TechOps is at Octopus. We will be shaping this team to provide a world class support service to our employees, building our way out of problems with engineering firepower and undertaking transformational organisational change to all Octopus to grow in a safe and efficient manner.
What you'll have
- Experience developing API integrations between a vast number of systems and tools.
- Building tools for our employees to use and our TechOps team to administer on a daily basis.
- Working on complex scaling problems like device and account provisioning, asset management and lifecycle management.
- Experience working within security teams tackling complex and sophisticated threats across our estate of tools and devices.
- Embracing products such as Kolide & 1Password. Building tools that utilise things like SCIM to increase our security and internal processes.
- Knowledge of our tech stack is a plus; python, django, AWS
- The people experience is your mission and helping to build tooling for our employees excites you.
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window