The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and Upside is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we enter the stage of rapid commercialisation and customer account growth, we have a number of exciting new offerings to launch to customers. We’re looking for an exceptional person to help accelerate our product development in the first half of next year and continuously deliver features that provide value to our customers.
Our ideal engineer would be an individual who loves to engage with interesting software problems, with an interest in full-stack development and the passion to build and shape the future within a collaborative, community-based environment. We operate a highly agile development approach, giving wide scope to be involved with hands-on system-design, test driven development, deployment and operations.
What you'll do
- Design, build and maintain high performance, reusable & reliable code
- Ensure the best possible performance, reliability and quality of the Upside platform
- Contribute to development across the entire stack from the front end down to the infrastructure that the platform runs on
- Contribute to the software engineering culture here at Upside
- Mentor junior engineers via pairing, design review & code review
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues with many different professional specialities to create innovative solutions that delight our customers and colleagues
- Work as part of a team of engineers, regularly seeking feedback and growing your skills as technical professionals.
What you'll have
- 5+ years of industry experience in software development & design
- Proven experience in one or more of the following: Java development and testing frameworks (Java, Java Spring, Junit & Mockito); Typescript; Python
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud providers, or serverless technologies e.g. AWS Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB, API Gateway
- A drive to get things done in a collaborative, agile development environment
- A proven ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work effectively across functions (product, analytics etc)
It would be great if you had
- Experience with Angular (we’re currently using Angular 6); CSS/SASS or React (we’re currently in the process of migrating from Angular)
- Experience developing, securing or operating cloud scale applications or infrastructure as code
- Familiarity with container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes etc) and passion for improving the way cloud applications are built
- Knowledge of industry trends in technologies used in Upside’s technical stack
Note: This description gives a feel for the role, however if you’re missing something here but think you’d fit, we’d love to hear from you.
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window