The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and Upside is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we enter the stage of rapid commercialisation and customer account growth, we have a number of exciting new offerings to launch to customers. We’re looking for an exceptional person to help accelerate our product development in the first half of next year and continuously deliver features that provide value to our customers.
Our ideal engineer would be an individual who loves to engage with interesting software problems, with an interest in full-stack development and the passion to build and shape the future within a collaborative, community-based environment. We operate a highly agile development approach, giving wide scope to be involved with hands-on system-design, test driven development, deployment and operations.
What you'll do
- Design, build and maintain high performance, reusable & reliable code
- Develop tooling to automate the deployment, monitoring and maintenance of our infrastructure and services.
- Ensure the best possible performance, reliability and quality of the Upside platform
- Contribute to development across the entire stack from the front end down to the infrastructure that the platform runs on
- Contribute to the software engineering culture here at Upside
- Mentor junior engineers via pairing, design review & code review
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues with many different professional specialities to create innovative solutions that delight our customers and colleagues
- Work as part of a team of engineers, regularly seeking feedback and growing your skills as technical professionals.
- Implement a pragmatic CI / CD strategy to incorporate the entire product development life cycle.
What you'll have
- 5+ years of industry experience in software development & design
- Proven experience in one or more of the following: Typescript; Python; Java
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud providers, or serverless technologies e.g. AWS Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB, API Gateway
- Experience in working with configuration management and infrastructure as code tools such as CloudFormation, Terraform, CDK etc.
- A drive to get things done in a collaborative, agile development environment
- A proven ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work effectively across functions (product, analytics etc)
It would be great if you had
- Experience developing, securing or operating cloud scale applications or infrastructure as code
- Familiarity with container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes etc) and passion for improving the way cloud applications are built
- Knowledge of industry trends in technologies used in Upside’s technical stack
- Experience within Unix/Linux environments in production.
- Understanding of the full web technology stack (network, TCP/IP, DNS, routing, HTTP/S).
- Stakeholder engagement skills and experience.
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window