The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and Upside is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we enter the stage of rapid commercialisation and customer growth we are now looking for an exceptional person to help us improve our customer tools and dashboards, adding more interesting insights from huge amounts of data, and making them faster.
The Upside console is becoming an integral part of our system as we integrate with more and more customers so the Senior Frontend Engineer is a highly visible and critical role within our organisation; someone who will own the front end codebase; help us migrate our legacy services to modern technologies & advise on best practices as we go along this journey.
What you'll do
- Own the front-end code base.
- Champion best practices in coding standards.
- Drive our approach to adopting React and SPA
- Deliver customer facing features quickly and to a high standard.
- Ensure best practices are adhered to.
- Create quality mockups and prototypes.
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies.
- Collaborate with back-end developers and the wider Upside community to improve usability.
- Get feedback from, and build solutions for, our wide range of users and customers.
- Ensure high quality graphic standards and brand consistency
What you'll need
- We expect you to be a tech-savvy professional, who is curious about new digital technologies and aspires to combine usability with visual design.
- Familiarity with browser testing and debugging (Jasmine, JEST)
- Ability to write solid, semantic HTML and have experience writing SASS
- Know how to develop websites that meet AAA accessibility guidelines.
- Can take Photoshop/Sketch designs and bring them to life in codeIn-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development and deployment)
- Understanding of layout aesthetics
- A proven ability to perform well in a rapidly changing agile environment.
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
Note: This description gives a feel for the role, however if you’re missing something here but think you’d fit, we’d love to hear from you.
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window