We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re spearheading the transition to greener, cheaper energy through the installation of in-home technologies; from smart meters and electric car chargers; to low carbon heating, home batteries, solar, and beyond. Utilising Octopus’ awesome tech power, we deliver smart energy solutions for our customers.
As the face of the company, our diverse, industry-leading field force delivers the same outrageous experience Octopus customers love and expect.
Find out more about where we come from and what makes us tick from our CEO, John HERE
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and as well as our new net zero Centre - Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
You'll be working in a small team on a greenfield project as a part of a multi-discipline engineering team of around thirty people. This includes server-side, client-side and mobile engineers working closely with UX experts, copywriters and designers.We follow a Kanban-like approach, using Google docs and Trello to specify and manage work; Github, CircleCI and Terraform Enterprise as part of an immutable-infrastructure, continuous delivery pipeline; and Loggly, Sentry and Cloudwatch to measure performance and monitor production.
Engineering standards are high. We pair program, thoroughly review and test code before it deploys, and maintain fast, high-value test suites. We have weekly tech talks, monthly blitz-days (eg sharpening our internal tools, upgrading dependencies) and can often be found at tech meet-ups and conferences.Our coding conventions are open-source and we maintain a tech blog.
Octopus is a great place to learn, work with some talented engineers and level-up your skills.
On the server-side, we mainly use Python. Most of our websites are powered by Django and the Django-REST-framework.
We use AWS heavily, with continuous deployment to EKS
Client-side, we use React, Redux and SASS; our mobile apps are built using Native Android + Kotlin
What you'll do
- Managing a team of field engineers is a difficult design problem. Because we're customer focussed getting engineers to the right place at the right time is hard.
- As demand for new technologies grows OES is growing with it. The problems you'll solve will make the lives of everyone better - for the customer, the back office staff and the field engineers.
- There's a great opportunity for disruption in the UK energy market. The big suppliers still dominate, but are not exactly popular. The energy landscape is changing as we move to more dis-aggregated forms of generation, with less predictability, more dynamism and smarter technology. Octopus Energy were the first UK supplier to introduce a "tracker" tariff whose prices track the daily wholesale prices: http://www.cleanenergynews.co.uk/news/efficiency/octopus-offers-transparency-with-wholesale-price-tariff
- You'll be working for a company that’s fighting climate change. Our parent company is the largest investor in solar generation in the UK, and are funding wind and anaerobic digestion. As a supplier, we're helping people to use greener technology and renewable energy, all helping move the UK towards a lower carbon future.
What you'll have
- We're looking for someone with a keen interest in technology and problem-solving; someone diligent and thoughtful. It would be helpful to have experience/expertise in the following (in rough priority order):
- Django (or equiv. web framework)
- Domain modelling
- HTTP and REST APIs
- Writing robust and fault-tolerant software
- Celery and async processing
- Plus experience in the following would be a bonus:
- Terraform, Packer, Consul
- React and Redux
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
Above all, we’re looking for someone who thrives on providing alternative opinions, challenging those around them and being challenged.
This is the chance to join one of the UK’s most exciting start-ups. If you this sounds exciting to you and you have a genuine passion for what we're doing then we'd love to hear from you!
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window