We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment. We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to nearly 2 million homes and over 15,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 4 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre - Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
Octopus Energy buys and balances around £1bn worth of gas and electricity every year. We are currently active in UK, Germany, USA and New Zealand with ambitious global expansion plans (recently announcing an entry into Japan). We’ve developed our own risk and trading technology to help us optimise and automate this important task. The trading toolkit consists of: demand, generation forecasting, volume aggregation, trade capture, price curve evaluation, scenario and risk modelling.
We’re looking for a quantitative developer to help us further develop these tools and systems as the size, scope and geography of our operations grow. You’ll be given the autonomy to solve problems and shape solutions whilst benefiting from the support of our experienced technology and data science teams.
What you'll do
- Work closely with the procurement and data teams to scope and develop new features as the energy markets and Octopus products evolve
- Drive improvements and innovation in the toolsetLearn, maintain and support the existing codebase
- Maintain and improve the deployment pipelines
- Support with training for new developments
- Help to globalise the existing platform as we move into new geographies
What you'll have
- We're looking for an experienced software engineer with a firm grasp of trading and risk management
- Ideally you’ll have experience and knowledge of the UK Power and Gas markets although this isn’t a must
- You have a drive for writing easy to read, testable, and maintainable software.
- You have a drive to keep up to date with industry standards, best practices, and toolings
- Domain modelling
- REST APIs
- Writing robust and fault-tolerant software
- Open data stack (Jupyter, Pandas, NumPy)
- A distributed data processing tools (e.g. Spark or Dask)
- CI/CD pipelines
- Django/Fastapi (or equiv. web framework) would be useful
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Holiday - 23 days plus bank holidays
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window