Octopus Energy is a scale-up electricity and gas supplier in Great Britain, having enjoyed huge success in its first 4 and a half years of existence and now supplies over 1.5 million households and businesses across the UK. Octopus Energy is also part of Octopus Group, the UK’s largest investor in solar farms and the third largest investor in renewable generation overall. The solar farms they’ve funded generate 40% of all the UK’s large scale solar, enough to power over a quarter of a million homes (when the sun shines!). They’ve also invested in wind generation, anaerobic digestion plans and “rapid response” gas generation to help balance supply when there’s no wind and sun.
Within Octopus Energy sits Octopus Energy for Business (OEB), who supply businesses from small independent coffee shops and schools all the way up to the likes of the National Space Centre and the Emirates Stadium. Their innovative approach to business energy has seen the launch of a number of successful products. These include Electric Juice, a dynamic tariff for the UK’s electric charging networks and Panel Power, a product for businesses with solar PV looking to decentralise their energy usage to name but a few.
A role with Octopus is a chance to join an exciting scale-up company within the energy supply sector, and one that is well placed to take advantage of the rapidly changing energy landscape. They enjoy the best of both worlds: backing from a large, well-capitalised business with access to highly experienced and talented individuals, all whilst retaining the dynamic environment and energetic team that characterises start-up ventures.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Product Owner to help us deliver multi-platform products for Octopus Energy in the electrification space (think electric vehicles and smart energy tech!).
As part of a high-energy project team, you’ll work with people across the business to unify vision, roadmap and technical specifications, and be hands on in solving any questions you encounter. Along the way you’ll speak to designers, commercial and product teams, back and front-end developers, and gain a fantastic understanding of the future of energy – all in the name of creating awesome new tech-led products for customers.
This is a technically complex product with a wide range of technologies, platforms and functionality that needs to be built to an exceptionally high standard – as such we’re looking for a superstar who can grow with the product and the company.
What you'll have
- Have experience as a Product Owner, or strong related experience (having worked in engineering or design roles is a plus)
- Have a solid understanding of technical delivery processes across multiple platforms and skillsets – including mobile, web, back-end, design, Agile/Sprint processes etc.
- Be a world-class communicator. You must be as comfortable having a broad commercial conversation as having a detailed technical one, and be able to write crystal clear technical specifications.
- Enjoy engaging with problems. What we’re building is complex. You’ll need to relish challenges as they arise and propose practical and creative solutions
- Love building relationships with new people – success will mean communicating with a wide range of stakeholders
- Not need to have prior industry knowledge (we’re breaking new boundaries, after all!). However, a passion for renewables, electric vehicles and creating cool tech is a must!
What you'll get
- Flexible working practices
- A supportive, challenging and agile environment
- A competitive salary
- The opportunity to work across a variety of technologies
- Work across multiple domains within both businesses
- Access to training courses, learning and development
- Free fruit and hot drinks (if you’re in the office)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Equity Scheme
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window