The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and Upside is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we enter the stage of rapid commercialisation and platform growth we are now looking for an exceptional person to help provide automation, tooling and cloud infrastructure to our development & delivery teams. Our Platform Engineers are responsible for the design, build and running of our strategic microservices platform. They develop and maintain secure, scalable, resilient cloud-based infrastructure using an Infrastructure as Code approach.
Working closely with our Development, Data Science & Integrations teams, our Platform Engineers support our wider engineering community to improve the overall quality of product build, deployments, monitoring and alerting. They work closely with our development teams and assist them with the operational requirements of implementing new and maintaining existing applications, optimising our delivery pipeline, maintaining and scaling our infrastructure.
What you'll do
- Help drive the improvement of our current infrastructure standards and processes.
- Develop tooling to automate the deployment, monitoring and maintenance of our infrastructure and services.
- Contribute to platform architecture and design to drive continuous improvement and to ensure new features have the proper operational support and maintainability.
- Work with our delivery teams to ensure their service adheres to the AWS Well architected framework (Operational excellence, Security, Reliability, Performance efficacy and cost optimisation)
- Implement a pragmatic CI / CD strategy to incorporate the entire product development life cycle.
- Continuously refine monitoring processes, thresholds, and configuration.
- Work with our development & delivery teams to create and maintain continuous deployment practices.
- Work with our development & delivery teams to create and maintain documentation for their services.
- Act as an emergency responder for high-severity internal or customer platform-related incidents.
What you'll need
- Experience managing cloud-based infrastructure (ideally AWS).
- Experience in working with configuration management and infrastructure as code tools such as Chef, Ansible, CloudFormation, Terraform, CDK etc.
- Experience in working with containerisation technologies (Docker, Kubernetes etc).
- Experience within Unix/Linux environments in production.
- Understanding of the full web technology stack (network, TCP/IP, DNS, routing, HTTP/S).Stakeholder engagement skills and experience.
- Experience in prioritising operational and development backlogs.
- Experience in either Typescript or Python
It would be great if you had
- Able to prioritize technical debt and value delivery keeping both tactical and strategic challenges in mind.
- Communication skills showing the ability to summarise complex problems and recommend concise plans of action.
- The ability to adapt and learn new technologies
- Eye for detail, with a very clear and organised approach to delivery
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window