We is a tech-focused energy supplier for the UK market and we’re are looking for diligent and thoughtful software engineers, of any level of experience, to join our growing team.
Specifically, we're looking for a Platform Engineer to join the team and help us build “Kraken”, a cloud-based energy platform for interacting with both consumers (via the web, mobile and smart-meters) and the industry (eg data flows, consumption forecasting, trading on the wholesale market).We're an innovative and customer-focussed company, helping to drag the energy industry into the 21st century.
This is a rare opportunity to use technology to help fight climate change through helping the UK to use green technology and renewable energy sources.
On the server-side, we mainly use Python. Most of our websites are powered by Django and the Django-REST-framework. We also use Pandas, Numpy and Jupyter for analysis and forecasting, plus Celery, RabbitMQ, SQS and Airflow for background processing.
We use AWS heavily, employing most of the “Hashistack” stack (eg Packer, Consul, Terraform) as well as Kubernetes and Docker to orchestrate our continuous deployment pipeline.
Client-side, we use React, Redux and SASS; our mobile apps are built using React Native.
What you'll do...
- We have lots of difficult design challenges to solve. The Australian energy market is complicated, outdated and process-heavy - there's an awful lot of domain modelling that we need to get right. Strong attention to detail is essential.
- We have difficult technical problems to solve. With the advent of smart meters, we'll soon be processing millions of meter readings a day. We need the right technology in place to handle this smoothly as well as feeding data into a machine learning pipeline that models and predicts consumption.
- There's a great opportunity for disruption in the UK energy market. The big suppliers still dominate, but are not exactly popular. The energy landscape is changing as we move to more dis-aggregated forms of generation, with less predictability, more dynamism and smarter technology. Octopus Energy were the first UK supplier to introduce a "tracker" tariff whose prices track the daily wholesale prices: http://www.cleanenergynews.co.uk/news/efficiency/…
- You'll be working for a company that’s fighting climate change. Our parent company is the largest investor in solar generation in the UK, and are funding wind and anaerobic digestion. As a supplier, we're helping people to use greener technology and renewable energy, all helping move the UK towards a lower carbon future.
What you'll have...
- Django (or equiv. web framework)
- Writing robust and fault-tolerant software
- Celery and async processing
What you'll get...
- Equity Scheme (own part of the business)
- Flexible working environment
- Support to help with development (courses, learning, development)
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window