We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our approach to technology and innovation helps separate us from our competitors. We want to ensure we are constantly pushing the boundaries and allowing new ideas to flourish. That's why in 2019 we created the Hatchery; a space where we can investigate ideas from an early stage and establish if they could become viable products.
The Octopus Energy Hatchery is the autonomous arm of Octopus Energy, based in North Bristol. We develop new ideas into companies in the energy and sustainability sector. Although, if we spot an opportunity in another market we’ll certainly look into it! We do the market research, business model development, user research, user testing, and software development to establish the viability of a future business
Who are we?
We are Octopus Energy Hatchery, and we are hiring people into one of our new companies focussed on enabling people to reduce their carbon footprint and become carbon neutral.
We believe that with the right tools people can reduce their impact and that collective impact can change the world. Whilst we are UK based, we are solving a global problem, and that means having a product that people can use all over the world.
For a bit of background; Octopus Energy Hatchery develops new ideas in the energy and sustainability sector before forming new companies that people are hired into.
Who’s in my team?
You’ll be part of a cross-functional team that covers design, user testing, product management and software development. You will play a significant role in the development team, specifically leading on the mobile app development.
As a newly-formed team, we are not limited or tied to any process, which means you can play a big part in shaping the culture.
What technology will I be using?
This will be down to you and the rest of the development team, so whatever you think is the right technology for the product. We will expect you to cover all aspects of development from spikes and rapid prototypes to testing and release of products.
Don’t expect to just be writing code though, everyone is able to get involved in idea generation / discussion, business questions and user research if they’d like to. Everyone brings a different viewpoint to a problem and we value that diverse thinking.
The development team is made up of three people and you will be the lead mobile app developer alongside two other more generalist developers.
What you'll do
- Working with design and product to implement the product vision, which is likely to involve data visualisations, animations and notifications.
- Implementing deployment pipelines for Play and App store deployments.
- Monitoring app crashes and resolving issues.
- Sharing knowledge with the other developers on the team so that they can contribute to the codebase.
What you'll have
- Experience leading the development of iOS and Android apps. We’re aiming to build an app that works across the Play and App stores, so experience with a technology that allows a small team to deliver to both (e.g. React Native or Iconic) is important.
- Ability to implement maintainable and extensible user interfaces.
- Experience working in small, cross-functional teams with autonomy and responsibility.
What you'll get
- Flexible working.
- Pension Scheme - Employer 5% Employee 3% - you can opt to contribute more!
- Opportunity to shape the business.
- 25 days holiday
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window