Octopus Centre for Net Zero is looking for a Marketing Generalist
Established in 2021, the Octopus Centre for Net Zero (OCNZ) is a multi-disciplinary facility using research and engagement to accelerate the global transition to net zero. Central to OCNZ’s work will be the development of primarily open-source models, simulations and related tools, to develop detailed understanding of the behaviours of future energy systems and generate insights to inform future policy, regulation and investment to support the green energy transition. Our programme of research will incorporate short- and long-term horizons with the short-term research planned to be approached in an agile, iterative fashion enabling rapid generation of early insights and validation of future research routes.
OCNZ’s scope is international, and although its early research is expected to focus on UK energy systems (in particular the decarbonisation of transport, heat and buildings), this role will additionally include investigating and modelling energy systems based on markets outside the UK. The role is based in London and flexible working arrangements are supported. Some UK and international travel may be required. The role reports to OCNZ’s Director of Research.
We are seeking a marketing generalist to develop our online and offline content, manage our website and digital communications, oversee campaigns, and coordinate events. This role will suit you if you are a motivated, high energy individual who enjoys managing a broad variety of projects and is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
The role is based in London and flexible working arrangements are supported, although some travel should be expected once Covid restrictions are lifted. The role will report to the head of the OCNZ. Applicants should note that OCNZ’s research and activities are independent of Octopus Energy and the two organisations maintain a ‘dotted line’ relationship; this role should not be considered an entry route to Octopus Energy.
What you'll do
- Develop content strategy for OCNZ, identify key audiences, define messaging, write and produce content including articles, blogs, newsletters, podcasts etc
- Develop presentations, videos and other content for use by the wider OCNZ team. Proactively manage OCNZ’s social media channels.
- Set up and use analytics to understand how effective our engagement is and identify and introduce improvements. Ideate, create and coordinate regular in-person and virtual events - sometimes in collaboration with partner organisations - for a diverse set of audiences, including the general public
- Support OCNZ’s preparations for COP26
- Deliver creative campaigns and novel forms of engagement e.g. games, hackathons etc
- Manage third party consultants and agencies including management of budgets
- Manage external enquiries into OCNZ. Act as a key representative / ambassador for OCNZ at relevant event
- Work with marketing and communications counterparts in Octopus Energy to ensure OE has visibility of OCNZ’s activities and campaigns
- Monitor the overall landscape to identify and secure new collaborations and partnerships.
What you'll need
- Excellent written communication skills and be able to write in different styles for different audiences - including technologists, policy officials, investors and the public
- To be skilled at putting together creative and engaging visual content including presentations
- To be highly organised - have strong time management and planning skills, good attention to detail, able to work on several projects simultaneously, and able to deliver to tight deadlines
- The ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships with partner organisations
- To be a strong team player
- To be creative and a good problem solver
- Comfortable working with some ambiguity; OCNZ is a startup organisation and responsibilities and projects will evolve as the organisation moves through the set up phase
Ideally you'll have
- Degree in energy, marketing or a related field and / experience in any of the following areas: Energy, climate or decarbonisation, in industry; a research institute; a nonprofit; government body; or a consultancy; Marketing, communications, or growth in a fast growing, B2C SME context;
- Experience delivering collaborative projects and events
- An understanding of energy and climate models is an advantage
- An interest and / or experience in open technology, especially open software, open data.
Why you'll love it here
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If you are interested in the Octopus Centre for Net Zero please send us over your details along with a bit about you and why you're interested!
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window