We have a rare opportunity for a qualified solicitor to join our Legal team in London
We have a rare opportunity for a qualified solicitor to join our Legal team in London. We’re currently a small team of two, advising on all areas impacting our rapidly growing business.
The role offers a challenging and exciting opportunity to work on a wide range of legal matters, from licensing deals for our proprietary tech platform ‘Kraken’, to investment M&A transactions as we expand our business both in the UK and across the globe, to building our Electric Vehicles leasing business, to the roll out of our smart meter and EV charge point installation network – and everything else in-between. No two days are the same at Octopus Energy.
We’re looking for another solicitor to join our tight-knit team and help support our business across all these areas as we continue to grow at pace.
What you'll do
- You’ll lead the review, drafting and negotiation of various types of contracts and documentation to support our business.
- It’s hard to write a definitive list because as Octopus Energy evolves, so does the type of work we support. We’re looking for someone who is smart, versatile and up for the challenge of working on a wide variety of different transactions. A few examples of the types of documents we often work with include: SPAs and shareholders agreements, licensing arrangements, goods and services, innovative trials and collaboration agreements,
- We try and do as much work as we can in-house – it’s more fun that way. But for some of our larger transactions (such as acquisitions and investments) we use our panel of external law firms. The Legal team will always be closely involved in these transactions and you would help us to select, liaise with and manage our external counsel, building our relationships to ensure successful delivery & cost effectiveness.
- You’ll help monitor, manage and mitigate legal risks associated with all areas of the Octopus Energy business. You’ll need to make sure that you stay on top of changing relevant legislation to support the business operating in a compliant way.
- You’ll support with setting up our businesses overseas as we enter new countries.
- We have a very flat, open structure at Octopus Energy. You’ll be reporting to our Legal Director, but will work closely with various members of the team across all levels. You’ll be expected to be independent and run with your own projects with relatively light supervision.
What you'll need
- You don’t have to be an energy lawyer - we are primarily a technology company in the energy industry, so we cover lots of different areas beyond just energy! Some experience of having worked in-house, or even experience in a business role would be a real benefit so that you’re familiar with the variety and fast paced nature of an in-house role at a rapidly expanding global business like Octopus Energy
- To be a fully qualified UK lawyer. We would consider a range of PQE’s, but expect that you’ll require at least 2-3 years PQE experience and be capable of managing your own workload
- Be comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment with direct exposure to senior management and stakeholders
- Be excellent at prioritisation and working proactively and efficiently. Happy to multi-task and manage a variety of transactions at any given time
- A friendly approach with great organisational skills and attention to detail
- A desire to be part of a tight and ambitious team, willing to work hard and ‘muck in’ to help out other members of the team
- Comfortable asking the “stupid question” or challenging the status quo
- To think outside the box and come up with innovative ways of doing things. Octopus Energy is made up of incredibly driven, smart and innovative people and so you’ll need a forward-thinking approach to keep up (there may not always be a ready-made precedent for what you’ve been asked to help with!)
- Be comfortable providing advice in a flexible, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment where priorities may be changeable and often have tight turnaround times
- You’ll need a sensible commercial approach to succeed here. We rotate through opportunities so each of us benefits from variety, diverse experiences and broader learning. Sometimes we divide things between us, sometimes we tag team with one "lead" and one "support". We’re flexible, but the principle is that we should all be interested, motivated and inspired when we come to work
- To have a genuine interest in Octopus Energy’s mission
Why else you'll love it here
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If this opportunity sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we're doing at Octopus Energy then we'd love to hear from you.
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window