We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to over 1.5 million homes and over 12,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 3 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services.
We recently secured over £300 million of investment from Origin, Australia's largest Energy Company, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, build more tech to make energy greener, and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets (the UK and Germany). You can read more about the impact of this investment here.
Octopus’ proprietary platform offers a market leading level of operational efficiency and flexibility to support a wide range of offers and pricing constructs including the only dynamic half hourly tariff in the UK. We are also able to offer white label solutions and work with brands such as Arsenal Football Club and Marks & Spencer plc.
Over the last 18 months we have built a market leading Gross Margin platform that provides daily meter point level granularity on revenue and cost. Working alongside Kraken, our proprietary CRM, billing and industry interfacing software, every day our automated platform produces billions of rows of data giving us detailed historic and forecasted insight into the profitability of the customer base and any risks/opportunities we are facing.
We use the data for:
- Providing the base inputs for the majority of our financial reporting.
- Performing Revenue Assurance and accurately tracking associated risks
- Validating portfolio billed & unbilled volumes against industry settled volumes.
- Reconciling invoices against our cost calculations.
- Tracking portfolio health via integrity checks
We are looking for an experienced, data-driven developer to assist globalise the platform. We are currently active in UK, Germany, USA and New Zealand with ambitious global expansion plans. The vision is to build a single global platform that incorporates country specific inputs and generates consistent outputs to enable clear and easy understanding of global financial performance. With each new market there are new datapoints we need to incorporate into the platform. Whilst the Data Science team are responsible for generating these inputs we need to have a detailed understanding of them and integrate them into the RA platform so that global reporting outputs having a single theme and represent the company as a whole, rather than by country.
What you'll do
- Work closely with the Platform Engineer to deliver platform strategy and requirements and to make recommendations where appropriate
- Decouple the platform inputs from the UK specific variant of Kraken so that we can input industry, meter point and cost data from any country we expand to and the platform continues to run seamlessly.
- Expand the platform granularity to the relevant time periods (reporting varies from 30 minute time bands to 5 minute time bands dependent on the local market).
- Ensure the platform is designed for scale – as we expand into new markets we expect the data generated from the platform to increase exponentially.
- Work closely with the Data Science team and the Platform Engineer to add the following to the platform for each new country entered:
- New industry data (settlement coefficients, line losses, settled volumes)
- New cost matrices (historic and forecast)
- Work closely with the Finance team and the Platform Engineer to add the following to the platform for each new country entered:
- Import of invoice data (e.g. wholesale / metering costs etc) & reconciliation
- Work closely with the Strategic Finance team and the Platform Engineer to incorporate forecasted gross margin for acquisitions / scenario modelling.
- Keep up to date with the latest big data tools and implement them where you think they are beneficial.
What you'll have
- Knowledge of electricity and gas supply or similar utility markets would be an advantage but not essential
- Proficient in design and implementation of robust production systems in Python
- Experience with SQL and AWS
- Experience working with big data
- Experience with Spark, Airflow, Github and K8s advantageous
- Very bright, highly numerate, ability to handle multidimensional concepts
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexibility to grow and adapt as the business grows
- Able to challenge with empathy and ‘muck in’ as required at times as we develop the business
- Comfortable with some ambiguity (our world is changing fast)
What you'll get
- Equity Option Scheme (own part of the business)
- Pension Scheme - Employer 5% Employee 3% - you can opt to contribute more!
- Flexible working environment
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Fruit, breakfast and hot drinks
- Weekly free Friday drinks
- Access to Hatch - Financial advice and planning for employees
- Childcare Vouchers
- Support to help with development (courses, learning, development)
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window