Carbon Tech Lab is a new company helping people respond to climate change. We are building a mobile app which helps consumers make environmentally-smart spending and lifestyle changes to reduce and offset their carbon footprint.
We are funded by the Octopus Energy Group, a $2 billion green energy tech company. Our plan is to become profitable through transaction fees and partnerships with environmentally-friendly businesses. While we are UK based, we are solving a global problem, and that means having a product that people can use all over the world.
You'll be part of a small team building a mobile application that helps our users understand their impact on the environment and what they can do to reduce or offset it. This app will need to offer a great user experience so that people are encouraged to engage and make a difference. It will need to provide users with insight into the environmental impact of their financial transactions. To do this, we'll build a set of secure, privacy-respecting and reliable services that authenticate our users, integrate with external data sources and provide a clear API.
As a software engineer in our team, your primary role will be building our product. You will be involved across (and help define) our technology stack and will thoughtfully and incrementally create new features that delight our customers and help our business grow. You will work closely with two other engineers, using modern software development practices (e.g. test-driven development, evolutionary architecture and continuous delivery) and tools (e.g. React Native, Node.js).
As we're a young business, your work will include many opportunities to be part of conversations about more than just technology – including design, data science, product strategy and commercials.
You don't need to have a degree in Computer Science or a traditional background in Software Engineering. We're looking for experienced problem solvers and critical thinkers. However, this is a technical role which requires experience writing code professionally.
Who you are
- Someone who cares – about their co-workers, the quality of their work, the people who use their software and the planet.
- Someone who likes to learn – you enjoy validating new ideas, responding to feedback and learning new technologies and techniques.
- Someone who keeps things simple – you can look through clutter and complexity to come up with simple solutions.
Skills we value
- Writing code and tests that are easy to understand and work with later
- Pairing and collaborative code ownership
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience working with databases, including schema design, migrations, and indexes. This could be SQL and/or NoSQL experience.
- Experience designing and implementing APIs
- Developing applications for the cloud e.g. on Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
Level of Experience
- There is a technical stack in which you feel confident delivering features
- You have a broad base of engineering skills and have started to deepen your knowledge in one or two areas
- You're able to contribute to technical conversations about how to solve problems
- You ask questions about whether you're building the right thing, rather than just about how you're building it
- You've made some technical mistakes and learnt from them
Why you should join us
- An opportunity to make a difference for the planet by helping address the climate emergency
- A flexible, inclusive, remote-first environment
- Exciting technical challenges – build an intelligent carbon data API and a world-class user experience that helps people reduce their emissions
- A pension scheme with a 5% employer contribution and a 3% employee contribution (which you may increase)
- 25 days of holiday a year, plus UK bank holidays
Carbon Tech Lab is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We welcome applications from those typically underrepresented in tech.
While the role is remote-first, we are only looking to employ candidates in the United Kingdom. We will likely have an office location in Bristol if you enjoy spending some time working co-located.
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window