Octopus Energy is a scale-up electricity and gas supplier in Great Britain, having enjoyed huge success in its first 4 and a half years of existence and now supplies over 1.5 million households and businesses across the UK. Octopus Energy is also part of Octopus Group, the UK’s largest investor in solar farms and the third largest investor in renewable generation overall. The solar farms they’ve funded generate 40% of all the UK’s large scale solar, enough to power over a quarter of a million homes (when the sun shines!). They’ve also invested in wind generation, anaerobic digestion plans and “rapid response” gas generation to help balance supply when there’s no wind and sun.
Within Octopus Energy sits Octopus Energy for Business (OEB), who supply businesses from small independent coffee shops and schools all the way up to the likes of the National Space Centre and the Emirates Stadium. Their innovative approach to business energy has seen the launch of a number of successful products. These include Electric Juice, a dynamic tariff for the UK’s electric charging networks and Panel Power, a product for businesses with solar PV looking to decentralise their energy usage to name but a few.
A role with Octopus is a chance to join an exciting scale-up company within the energy supply sector, and one that is well placed to take advantage of the rapidly changing energy landscape. They enjoy the best of both worlds: backing from a large, well-capitalised business with access to highly experienced and talented individuals, all whilst retaining the dynamic environment and energetic team that characterises start-up ventures.
Energy is changing.
For years, it was an industry dominated by large suppliers using outdated systems that put profits first and customers last. Now, we’re using the latest technology and green generation to transform energy for customers, bringing the UK cheaper, greener, and fairer energy.
We enjoy the best of both worlds: backing from a £6bn business of highly experienced and talented individuals, and the dynamic environment of a start-up.
We are the only Which? recommended energy supplier for 2019, the uSwitch supplier of the year, Energy Awards supplier of the year, and UK customer experience award winner for utilities.
You’ll be working for a company that’s fighting climate change. We’re the largest investor in solar generation in the UK, and are funding wind and anaerobic digestion. We’re helping people to use greener technology and renewable energy, all helping move the UK towards a lower carbon future.
About the role
We're looking for someone to join our small existing product team of mobile & back-end developers. You'll help bring a variety of elements to life - e.g. web sites, sign-up journeys & account portals - and as such must have a strong desire to learn , problem solve, and get stuck in to new challenges alongside the rest of the team.Overall you'll work with a small, high-energy project team to translate designs & requirements into technical reality - an exciting opportunity to work like a start-up within a rapidly scaling EnTech business.
What you'll have
- Can write solid, semantic HTML and have experience writing SASS
- Have experience in crafting mobile-first responsive sites for a range of devices
- You're keen to explore code sharing solutions between web, mobile, and other UI platforms
- Ability to make use of various APIs (the majority of which should be GraphQL)
- Know how to develop websites that meet AAA accessibility guidelines.
- Can create code that works consistently across different browsers and platforms
- Can take Photoshop/Sketch designs and bring them to life in code
- Experience with the Django templating language a plus
- GraphQL & Apollo
- Styled components & SASS
- Jest & Enzyme
- Django/Python (server side and templating)
What you'll love about us...
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
We’re looking for someone who thrives on solving tough problems. Someone who can challenge those around them, and be challenged, while delivering delightful experiences for our internal and external customers.
If you this sounds like you and you have a genuine passion in the future of sustainability then we'd love to hear from you!
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window