We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to over 1.5 million homes and over 12,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 3 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services.
We recently secured over £300 million of investment from Origin, Australia's largest Energy Company, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, build more tech to make energy greener, and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets (the UK and Germany). You can read more about the impact of this investment here.
The Octopus Group has an investment portfolio worth over £7bn and around £2bn invested in renewable energy generation assets. In total, Octopus owns about 40% of the UK’s commercial solar generation capacity. Octopus Energy is an ambitious business already making real impact in the market, and offers the benefits of being a vibrant early stage business but with significant financial backing.
Globally, energy markets are going through unprecedented change with rapid development of renewable energy technologies, the introduction of battery storage, demand side response (DSR)initiatives and a growing range of in-home energy management technology, as well as the roll-out of Smart meters into consumer’s homes. These developments create significant opportunities for agile market participants that are able to harness the burgeoning data flows and respond quickly to changes in customer demand and market signals.
Octopus’ proprietary platform offers a market leading level of operational efficiency and flexibility to support a wide range of offers and pricing constructs including the only dynamic half hourly tariff in the UK. We are also able to offer white label solutions and work with brands such as Arsenal Football Club and Marks & Spencer plc.
In 2020 we executed over £800m of wholesale trades. We have ambitious expansion plans and anticipate this value growing significantly and rapidly. We are looking for an experienced energy trader to own and optimise the trade execution process and achieve cost savings wherever possible. In this role you will work closely with the wider procurement team, contributing to the ongoing development of our risk policy and the way in which we hedge our demand. Furthermore, you will have an integral role in planning, pricing and developing new flexibility offerings for our customers (including battery, DSR and smart tariff opportunities).
What you'll do
- Ownership of trade execution (for European markets – currently UK and Germany) - covering Gas and Electricity Supply, Renewable PPAs, flexibility assets and renewable certificates
- Optimise timing of wholesale hedges in line with our Risk policy
- Ensure prompt trade execution to minimise balancing costs
- Play a key role in optimising batteries and DSR solutions, working closely with our Flexibility team to pursue and price new opportunities
- Use our internally built Energy Trade & Risk Management (ETRM) system to book traded volumes and review risk exposures
- Use python to continue to develop position and risk reports
- Support the development of our Risk policy
- Make recommendations around the best products to use for hedge purposes, balancing risk and cost
- Provide detailed commentary on drivers behind movements in wholesale markets
- Work closely with procurement analysts to continually improve risk and position reporting
What you'll have
- Good understanding of UK and/or European Power and Gas Markets
- Experience with trade execution and booking
- Good analytical python skills
- Preferably a degree in a mathematical subject
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to adapt and grow with the business
- Confidence to challenge constructively
- Ability to ‘muck in’ at times as we develop the business
- Comfortable with some uncertainty (our world is changing fast!)
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window