Kraken is the technology behind Octopus Energy.
We invented, designed and built Kraken Technologies to ensure that we had the most innovative, data-centric and customer-focused technology to support our top-class customer service. Kraken Technologies now delivers transformational Energy-Tech to businesses around the world to make the global transition to green energy quicker and more affordable.
We’re now licensing Kraken Technologies to businesses globally. You can read about our partnership with E.On HERE as an example to see how Kraken is evolving our business. You can learn more about how the migration works in practice HERE.
Our aim is to have 100 million customers on the Kraken Platform by the year 2030.
Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre - Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia's largest Energy Company and Tokyo Gas, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, invest in Kraken Technologies, build more tech to make energy greener and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets, the UK and Globally.
About the role
At Octopus, we’ve led the way in innovating new ways to price energy to give customers more control over their energy costs, stamp out the loyalty penalty seen in much of the industry and engage customers to use energy when it is greenest and cheapest. We’re looking for a smart, passionate analyst to join the pricing function within our data science team to help us manage and develop our energy products.
Our team takes a technology and data driven approach to managing our complex pricing portfolio. We apply modern open data and analytics tools like Python, Pandas and Jupyter notebooks to build pricing tools and models. We’re passionate about automating work loads and processes so we can concentrate on the interesting problems. We’re looking for someone who is equally motivated by using technology to solve problems.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on problems that genuinely move us closer to Net Zero with a company that is passionate about building great technology and products that change the way customers use energy.
What you’ll be doing
- Optimise price positions and execute price changes
- Build and maintain pricing dashboards
- Perform competitor and market analysis
- Model the effects of price on customer behaviour
- Contribute to our pricing and product strategy and work on exciting new energy products like our Agile Octopus
- Help to build and maintain our pricing and energy economics libraries and services
- Provide regulatory and policy support on pricing
- Work closely with a broad range of teams including Finance, Strategy, Technology, Product and Marketing and Trading
What you'll have
- We don’t need prior energy supplier experience (we can teach that)
- Passionate about working in energy and contributing to the energy transition
- Curious and self driven - when faced with a new problem is capable of seeking out an answer without lots of help and support
- Highly data literate and numerate - can make sense of lots of data and shape it into a coherent story
- Has great attention to detail
- Communicates complex ideas clearly
- Is passionate about building robust and useable tools
- Experience with a scripting language (ideally Python)
- Has experience with wrangling data outside of a spreadsheet environment and writing performant queries in SQL
- Experience building reports and dashboards in a BI tool (ideally Tableau)
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window