Octopus Energy is a scale-up electricity and gas supplier in Great Britain, having enjoyed huge success in its first 4 and a half years of existence and now supplies over 1.5 million households and businesses across the UK. Octopus Energy is also part of Octopus Group, the UK’s largest investor in solar farms and the third largest investor in renewable generation overall. The solar farms they’ve funded generate 40% of all the UK’s large scale solar, enough to power over a quarter of a million homes (when the sun shines!). They’ve also invested in wind generation, anaerobic digestion plans and “rapid response” gas generation to help balance supply when there’s no wind and sun.
Within Octopus Energy sits Octopus Energy for Business (OEB), who supply businesses from small independent coffee shops and schools all the way up to the likes of the National Space Centre and the Emirates Stadium. Their innovative approach to business energy has seen the launch of a number of successful products. These include Electric Juice, a dynamic tariff for the UK’s electric charging networks and Panel Power, a product for businesses with solar PV looking to decentralise their energy usage to name but a few.
A role with Octopus is a chance to join an exciting scale-up company within the energy supply sector, and one that is well placed to take advantage of the rapidly changing energy landscape. They enjoy the best of both worlds: backing from a large, well-capitalised business with access to highly experienced and talented individuals, all whilst retaining the dynamic environment and energetic team that characterises start-up ventures.
We're looking for a Commercial and Pricing Manager to join our business team. You will work closely with the Director of Operations at Octopus Energy for Business.
What you'll do
- Take ownership of the pricing and reporting functions within Octopus Energy for Business
- Maintain and improve pricing tools/models for all business customers, both NHH and HH (Non-Half Hourly and Half Hourly). Additionally, develop our methodologies for quantifying risk, and make sure these are accounted for in our pricing.
- Manage bespoke quoting of half-hourly customers: you’ll be involved in proposals for some of our biggest contracts – you’ll have direct support here from other team members too.
- Create innovative products and pricing constructs to further Octopus’s customer-centric approach and market ambitions. You’ll also work with the business team on some of our most exciting products, supporting energy intensive industries of the future (e.g Electric Juice and Vertical Power)
- Tracking margins and pricing of our SME book, and working with our Growth & Acquisitions team to implement price changes.
- Analyse competitor pricing & market trends, ensuring that our pricing supports our growth initiatives.
- Build and maintain Octopus Energy’s market knowledge and keep up-to-date with industry developments, and the impacts these have on our cost modelling and pricing.
What you'll need
- Experience in a pricing role within the energy industry
- Experience in pricing different types of I&C contracts within the industry – fixed/flexible/ indexed/pass-through pricing constructs
- Proficient in SQL, and super data-driven!
- Experience using Python for data analysis is highly desirable – we use Pandas/ NumPy extensively.
- A analytical or numerical degree
- Be super inquisitive – at Octopus you’ll also have access to our brilliant Data Science, Procurement and Commercial teams too
- The ability to cope with a variety of tasks at any one time – this role spans a wide scope of responsibilities, so time management and prioritisation is vital.
What you'll get
- Equity Option Scheme (own part of the business)
- Pension Scheme - Employer 5% Employee 3% - you can opt to contribute more!
- Flexible working environment
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Fruit, breakfast and hot drinks
- Weekly free Friday drinks
- Regular social events (3 parties a year including a Summer festival)
- Access to Hatch - Financial advice and planning for employees
- Childcare Vouchers
- Maternity and Paternity pay
- Support to help with development (courses, learning, development)
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window