WANTED: thoughtful back-end developers to help build out our platform.
We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to over 1.5 million homes and over 12,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 3 years in a row.
We recently secured over £300 million of investment from Origin, Australia's largest Energy Company, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, build more tech to make energy greener, and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets (the UK and Germany). You can read more about the impact of this investment here.
Kraken is the tech behind Octopus Energy, we built it to ensure that we had the best tech backing up our top-class customer service. Kraken Technologies now delivers transformational Energy-Tech to businesses around the world to make the global transition to green energy quicker and more affordable. Read about our latest partnership with E.On HERE. Our aim is to have 100 million customers on the Kraken Platform by the year 2030.
All technology is written and maintained by a multi-discipline engineering team of around twenty people. This includes server-side, client-side and mobile engineers working closely with UX experts, copywriters and designers.We follow a Kanban-like approach, using Google docs and Trello to specify and manage work; Github, CircleCI and Terraform Enterprise as part of an immutable-infrastructure, continuous delivery pipeline; and Loggly, Sentry and Cloudwatch to measure performance and monitor production.
Engineering standards are high. We pair program, thoroughly review and test code before it deploys, and maintain fast, high-value test suites. We have weekly tech talks, monthly blitz-days (eg sharpening our internal tools, upgrading dependencies) and can often be found at tech meet-ups and conferences.Our coding conventions are open-source and we maintain a tech blog.
Octopus is a great place to learn, work with some talented engineers and level-up your skills.
On the server-side, we mainly use Python. Most of our websites are powered by Django and the Django-REST-framework. We also use Pandas, Numpy and Jupyter for analysis and forecasting, plus Celery, RabbitMQ, SQS and Airflow for background processing.
We use AWS heavily, employing most of the "Hashistack" (eg Packer, Consul, Terraform) as part of a continuous deployment pipeline. See, for example, Django, ELB health checks and continuous delivery.
Client-side, we use React, Redux and SASS; our mobile apps are built using React Native.
What you'll do
- We have lots of difficult design challenges to solve. The UK energy market is complicated, outdated and process-heavy - there's an awful lot of domain modelling that we need to get right. Strong attention to detail is essential.
- We have difficult technical problems to solve. With the advent of smart meters, we'll soon be processing millions of meter readings a day. We need the right technology in place to handle this smoothly as well as feeding data into a machine learning pipeline that models and predicts consumption.
- There's a great opportunity for disruption in the UK energy market. The big suppliers still dominate, but are not exactly popular. The energy landscape is changing as we move to more dis-aggregated forms of generation, with less predictability, more dynamism and smarter technology. Octopus Energy were the first UK supplier to introduce a "tracker" tariff whose prices track the daily wholesale prices: http://www.cleanenergynews.co.uk/news/efficiency/octopus-offers-transparency-with-wholesale-price-tariff
- You'll be working for a company that’s fighting climate change. Our parent company is the largest investor in solar generation in the UK, and are funding wind and anaerobic digestion. As a supplier, we're helping people to use greener technology and renewable energy, all helping move the UK towards a lower carbon future.
What you'll have
- We're looking for someone with a general interest in technology and problem-solving; someone diligent and thoughtful. It would be helpful to have experience/expertise in the following (in rough priority order):
- Django (or equiv. web framework)
- Domain modelling
- HTTP and REST APIs
- Writing robust and fault-tolerant software
- Celery and async processing
- Terraform, Packer, Consul
- React and Redux
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
We would prefer someone who can work in our London office but will consider remote candidates (warning: the bar is much higher). You do need to be able to work in the UK without a VISA though.
Above all, we’re looking for someone who thrives on providing alternative opinions, challenging those around them and being challenged.
If you this sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we are doing then we'd love to hear from you!
Hey I'm Constantine, welcome to Octopus Energy!×Close window